Sunday, January 4, 2009

Recovery of Galveston Island

Brian and I went down to Galveston Island yesterday to see what IKE had left behind.
I have a lot of fond memories of Galveston and it was sad to see those places destroyed.


The Houston Single Adults would hang out near this pavilion (i know it was more than that but can't really remember). I think this was North Beach if memory serves me right.
Maybe East Beach. The 5 Dollar sign is missing the more recent part of the sign with the 8 Dollar price. You can see how the asphalt below the booth is shifted and broken. The booth was tilted backward quite a bit.... It's amazing what Mother Nature can do. The Pavilion is in the background of the booth photo.



The three photos above were where I sang my ONE and only Karaoke song EVER!

funny quick story about that night... Crazy Drunk Chick was singing and we were rolling laughing at her.... She walked up to our table and put her hand on her hip (on top of the shorty short overalls with a tank top underneath) and professed
"Aint no Shame in MY Game"!

I thought for sure I would NEVER see anyone from that night again
... hence the reason I actually sang.
But wouldn't you know it...
One month later I was in my local Wally World minding my own business
... mind you I was in KATY and who do you think I see?
"Little Miss No Shame"!!!


and as you can see from the photo above... This was Stewart Beach.

Galveston has really been cleaned up but there is so much left to be done.
***********************************************************
Here is a picture of Brian and I and then a few of him.... he try's so hard to remain anonymous from the 5 of you who actually READ my blog but I'm not going to let him!


The above photo will also serve as my "before" photo...
ugh! :)
* You probably don't know (unless your family) but I was diagnosed with Diabetes (type 2) about two weeks ago. I am making some significant life changes and realizing lots of things about why I am like I am... My body has no idea what to do with the Insulin it makes so I have WAY too much in my body. I'm on meds now and working with a Diabetes Educator/Nutritionist. I'm happy to say I have already lost at least 10 lbs.... maybe more!
Watch for updates!!!

I took a photo of him (with his camera) attempting to get 8 bucks from someone as they drove past the vacant booth.
It did not work :)

PS. he can be really goofy but makes me really happy... which is the most important thing!


8 comments:

banananutmeg said...

NIcki! Diabetes, wow! My dad was diagnosed with type 2 when I was in high school, and unfortunately it took him YEARS to get it together and realize that if he doesn't take care of himself and stick to a diet, his body reacts poorly, causing him to be VERY mean, and often have erratic behavior (yelling one minute, crying the next). You are lucky to be finding out while you're young and have a desire to be healthy. Be sure to document your adventures with this new discovery...and congrats on the 10 lbs! what a nice way to ring in the new year!
BTW...healthy choice (healthy request? The green box) makes a BOMB fudgesicle that is only 80 calories and the best chocolate fix evah..they sell em at costco. That and the toffee WW ice cream pops have been my dad's saving grace.

It's great that you've been posting more often!

Mamapierce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lara said...

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you have diabetes:) I just wanted to comment you and brain are sooooo cute together!

Sylvia said...

Nicki, I LOVE the pic of you and Brian. You can tell he ADORES you. So very cute!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey there!! I check your blog but am a BAD commenter, sorry!! Hailee wants to know about the boy in the pics. She was looking over my shoulder and quite excited to see a picture of you!! we sure miss you around here. Congrats on the 10lbs. Sorry to hear about the diabetes.
ps--this is jerushia not dan (but i'm sure you knew that :)

Mamapierce said...

Looks like a fun day! :o)

Shelly said...

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad to hear that you are doing everything you can to take control of it and not let it take control of you!

Your guy is very handsome and you both look so happy! Congrats!!

Annie said...

Hi Nicki! Thanks for commenting (and reading) my blog. Looks like this was a post from a while back, but just wondering if Brian is still around...

You look cute - love your profile pic too! Your hair always looks great. Hope things go well with your health - at least you know about it and what to do.