Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cold Process Soap Making

So I decided I wanted to learn to make soap.

I started with a few things from Michaels only to be bored with the "melt and pour" method they sell supplies for.

I graduated quickly to Cold Process Soap Making.
This is the process that uses Lye.
I spent about a week hunting down all the oils and the Lye.
Evidently it is quite commonly used to make meth.

Darn those illegal drugs for making it difficult for me to craft!

I ended up buying the lye from a chemical distributor locally.

(if you happen to live in the DFW area and need lye give me a holler and we can work something out... maybe a trade? I have 50lbs... that will last me a lifetime of soap making)

Last night I made my first batch.

Tonight I cut it.

Now it gets to sit and "cure" for 4 weeks! ha
Guess I better get busy making soap for selling since it takes weeks to cure!

I did not add any color to the first batch but it is a yummy Coconut Lime scent.

6 comments:

Matt said...

Just for funsies, you should have written "if anyone wants any meth, I mean, lye..."

Unknown said...

Hey...that soap looks great! Good job.

Blarney Girl said...

How much do you charge for shipping or are you planning a strip to Houston sometime soon? :D

Oh, BTW...Wendell and I are back on and it's pretty serious!!

Blarney Girl said...

A "strip" to Houston? hmmmm...what do i have on my mind??? rofl

The Sixth Sister said...

coconut lime is my favorite!

Mamapierce said...

How cool is that? I wish there was a way to smell it via blog. Scratch 'n' sniff, anyone?